NEW 62-plate vehicles will arrive in Island dealerships during the next few weeks, as the automotive sector prepares for one of its busiest times of the year.
Industry body the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) expects around 330,000 new cars to be registered nationally during September, with motorists spending in the region of £4.95 billion on the latest new vehicles.
September is the second biggest month for dealers across the UK and accounts for almost a fifth of the year’s trade, with the other plate-change month of March traditionally the busiest. More than 300 fuel-efficient, technology-packed models are currently on the market, representing one of the biggest ever choices for UK motorists.
"September is a significant month for the UK motor industry and the wider economy. A strong month for new vehicle registrations will help put both on the right track," said Paul Everitt, SMMT chief executive. "Franchised dealers have a fantastic range of exciting new models on offer, each with enhanced levels of fuel efficiency, safety, comfort and affordable finance. These advantages make it a great time to buy a new car and motorists should visit their local dealer to secure a new 62-plate in September."
Attractive features of new cars include:
• Fuel efficiency — Average new car CO2 emissions are now 138g/km with official miles per gallon figures typically exceeding 50mpg.
• Safety — 77 per cent of new cars tested by Euro NCAP in 2011 achieved five stars. In the past ten years, road fatalities have fallen almost 50 per cent.
• Security — Theft of vehicles has fallen almost 70 per cent over the past ten years, while theft from vehicles has also dropped significantly, down more than 50 per cent.
• Colour — Based on this year’s buying trends, black and white cars are expected to make-up the lion’s share of September registrations, while red and brown car registrations look set to grow compared with last year.
• Alternative fuels — Market share of alternatively-fuelled vehicles is growing steadily with more hybrid, pure electric and biofuel models available than ever before.
• New technology — Digital radio is rapidly becoming the 'must-have’ option for new car buyers.