Another rise in JSA claimants

By Ross Findon

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

UNEMPLOYMENT rose for the fifth month in a row in January, according to latest Jobseeker's Allowance figures published by the Office of National Statistics (ONS) today (Wednesday).

The number of claimants rose from 3,080 to 3,159, the equivalent of 3.9% of 16 to 64-year-old Islanders. That was down on the same time last year, when 3,980 were claiming JSA — 4.9% of the age group.

The figure for the south east this month remained at 1.8% and for Great Britain it was 3%.

Of the Island claimants, 1,720 have been claiming JSA for 12 months or more.

JSA Jan 2014

Reporter: ross.findon@iwcp.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

23rd February 2014, at 16:43:11

Now I have put some useful and factual information below. I hope that people looking for a job can take some pro-active steps towards gaining employment. I wish you all well in finding jobs, remember to help and invest in yourselves! Good luck all!

by Keven Ball

23rd February 2014, at 12:33:59

Peter - I do not understand the island's new language what does "bullting style" mean?

by Keven Ball

22nd February 2014, at 20:14:33

How odd Baz has gone quiet and he was so sure about this as well. That is odd that his wife used to work in a job centre and didn't know this, interesting... I am learning so much here all, please continue and I hope people can find work soon?

by Keven Ball

22nd February 2014, at 20:11:52

Peter by replying you have taken part :) thank you for your input.

by Keven Ball

22nd February 2014, at 15:15:58

Afternoon Baz,

I would like to start with this; I enjoy the side comments (as I do with Peter)! Nevertheless, some of us are capable of sticking to the debate and do not write to insult/entertain others, try it sometime? Overall, I have proven that you can volunteer and still get your full dole/benefits as long as you understand the rules. These are set by the job centre (asks an adviser) to double check they are happy with the arrangements etc.

“Get your facts straight before making idiotic comments and making yourself sound stupid!” – Don’t be so harsh on yourself!

“Ex school teacher eh? I worry for the education system!” I would be as well if I were living on the island! The standards are very poor as reported and from what I witness on the site every day, I agree!

by Keven Ball

22nd February 2014, at 15:03:36

Are you allowed to volunteer if you’re claiming state benefits?
The short answer is ‘yes’. The Jobcentre Plus leaflet Volunteering while
getting benefits [PDF] (February 2010) says
“you can volunteer as many hours as you like while you’re getting
benefits as long as you keep to the rules for getting them.”
However, you should be aware that some benefits advisers aren’t themselves
clear on the rules about volunteering. If a volunteer is told, for example, that
they can only volunteer for 16 hours a week, you should tell the volunteer
and/or the adviser about Volunteering while getting benefits...

by Keven Ball

22nd February 2014, at 15:02:09

by Keven Ball

22nd February 2014, at 14:58:46

"How much voluntary work can I do? As much as you wish. If you’re claiming Job Seekers Allowance, you still need to be actively seeking, and available for work. There is NOT any ’16-hour’ rule for volunteering, although there is often a misunderstanding that this still exists. Having some flexibility in your volunteering will enable jobcentre plus advisers to continue to support you effectively."

by Keven Ball

22nd February 2014, at 12:02:23

Moring Baz.

You said your wife worked in a Jobcentre Plus building - past tense, therefore she doesn't now? Again it is Keven (not Kevan or kenvan)...

Look at this link:

by Baz Taylor

21st February 2014, at 23:51:18

Kevan: It depends on what benefit you are claiming. If it is JOB SEEKERS Allowance, it is just that - JOB SEEKERS!! If you are doing voluntary work, you are NOT actively seeking work! Get your facts straight before making idiotic comments and making yourself sound stupid! Ex school teacher eh? I worry for the education system!