CONSTRUCTION of an outer breakwater at Cowes — part of multi-million pound plans to redevelop Cowes and East Cowes through the creation of a sheltered harbour — should be completed by next autumn, harbour bosses said today (Tuesday).
Cowes Harbour Commission (CHC) said the contract to design and build the breakwater, which is currently out to tender, would be awarded to one of five shortlisted companies in December.
Construction is due to start in February and expected to take eight months to complete.
Harbour users have been warned to expect some disruption while the breakwater is built.
Marine traffic will be diverted around an exclusion zone, which will be created around the mouth of the harbour, and all moorings will be positioned outside the zone.
"CHC will be liaising closely with all Cowes yacht clubs and event organisers to avoid disruption to racing, however, impacts during construction of the breakwater will hopefully be minimal.
The Outer Breakwater Project, spearheaded by CHC, was given the green light last month when the Homes and Communities Agency agreed to provide £3.16m in match-funding. There were fears the project, which has been eight years in the making, was in jeopardy, after the agency rejected a bid last year.