Changes to Isle of Wight Council budget plans

By Emily Pearce

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A STAY of execution for West Wight Sports Centre funding is among the revised proposals in the latest budget papers published by the Isle of Wight Council.

A report published yesterday (Tuesday), ahead of next week's budget-setting meeting, recommend freezing council tax, although leading councillors have said they would be willing to consider a 1.99 per cent rise.

For 2015/16, however, the council may seriously have to consider holding a referendum on increasing council tax above the government's two per cent cap, according to the report.

A public consultation on the introduction of charges for the Cowes floating bridge looks set to be carried out, and any potential merger of the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service with a mainland counterpart has been put off until 2016/17 to enable a business case to be prepared.

Other recommendations include deferring a £25,000 reduction in the grant paid to West Wight Sports Centre from 2014/15 to 2015/16, at which point all grant funding would cease, and scaling back environment officer cuts proposed for 2014/15, from £125,000 to £75,000, to give town and parish councils more time to take on services including the enforcement of fly-tipping, dog fouling, graffiti and littering, and the monitoring of public toilet and beach cleaning contracts.

In the event all town and parish precepts are not set before Wednesday's (26) meeting, a council tax setting committee will be established to set the level of council tax for 2014/15, taking into account the notified police precept and parish precepts.

The council needs to cut £28m from its budget over the next three years.

View the report below:

Isle of Wight Council. Full council, February 26, 2014.

Reporter: emilyp@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

23rd February 2014, at 12:40:39

*If I were

by Keven Ball

23rd February 2014, at 12:40:04

I do not see one post were you have addressed the topic here Peter. So I have no idea what your thoughts are over the budget cuts... If I was to read this site I would think it was the Keven fan club site... and with people who cannot stick or debate any real issues...

by Keven Ball

23rd February 2014, at 12:38:06

Have your heard of the expression of "dog with a bone" Peter?

by Keven Ball

22nd February 2014, at 20:16:15

Odd no reply here by Peter? I was hoping for some of your thoughts over the budget cuts? As you say you are very keen to put forward your ideas on how it will affect the island and its people and for that yourself?

by Keven Ball

22nd February 2014, at 15:29:30

That is right David. All councils will be making tough decisions and this will only have a negative impact upon us the taxpayer! More taxes, less services (etc) = tough times!

by david wright

21st February 2014, at 23:10:03

@ Peter,
I live in Totland but just spent two days in Devon on business and if it helps on the local news it said Devon Council have to make up for £27m in government grant cuts.

My view of the cuts is that the council cannot continue to think they are ruling in the glory days of gold chains of office and Limos. The country is changing and money is just not out there.I think that the current £33 a week for a Band C house is extortionate and if i could protest in any meaningful way about it I would.

In 2014 we are bombarded with 'best value' websites unfortunately there is no way to go on comparethecouncil.com and change council tax to a cheaper supplier!

by Keven Ball

21st February 2014, at 20:29:47

Title reads "Changes to Isle of Wight Council budget plans". The main issue is this "The council needs to cut £28m from its budget over the next three years." Now look at your replies Peter and see if you have really engaged in this debate? Or, have you just gone off on one and had a rant personally aimed just at me... Think about that as I head off to the pub...

by Keven Ball

21st February 2014, at 20:24:47

Right...

by Keven Ball

21st February 2014, at 19:36:46

Thank you for the entertainment Peter. It has been most interesting and most enlightening... remember your comments are about the island, which will be read by the islanders and your 'elected officials' to which you answer to... think about that one. Thanks I am done here, unless you wish to take part in the actual debate?

by Keven Ball

21st February 2014, at 19:31:55

Peter, how odd! You stated this "I am more than happy to discuss my opinions about my council's budget with other IOW residents and my elected officials."

I asked you this "How do you feel about these cuts, there will be less services and job losses and much more... are you worried/concerned about these cuts in the short or long-term and why?"

You reply with this "For the last time, as you are neither an IOW resident or an IOW Council tax payer, it doesn't matter if you ask me 5 times or 500 times what my thoughts are on this story, as they are no business of yours".

Therefore you are not answering the question or addressing the post - what is the point of you commenting, just to rant at me I feel?