Councillors consider dogs on leads proposal

By Martin Neville

Friday, July 4, 2014

Councillors consider dogs on leads proposal

There have been complaints about dogs taking food from children and even knocking a man over at St Helens beach.

DOGS will continue to be allowed to roam freely at an Isle of Wight beach, if councillors follow a recommendation next week.

Isle of Wight Council officers have recommended councillors reject a proposed amendment to the Dogs on Leads Order 2008, which would have required dogs to be kept on leads at St Helens beach.

At the request of St Helens Parish Council, which received complaints about dogs taking food from children and knocking a man over, the Isle of Wight Council asked Islanders whether dogs should be kept on leads during the summer at The Duver and the promenade.

The council’s executive will hear on Monday that nearly 60 comments were received — 22 in favour of the changes and 36 against, including a 246 signature petition.

The committee report stated: "The consultation has revealed the public does not support the view of amending the dog order in this area.

"Representation has been made by many people, who would wish to continue to exercise their dogs as they currently do in the area."

If the dog control order is made, people who let their dogs roam free could be fined up to £1,000.

At last night's (Thursday) Isle of Wight Council scrutiny committee meeting Cllr Wayne Whittle questioned the value of the consultation, which was commissioned despite only a handful of complaints.

Scrutiny chairman Cllr Geoff Lumley has called for Cllr Luisa Hillard, who has overall responsibility for the issue, to provide information about the cost of the consultation.

Reporter: martinn@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by barbara penman

5th July 2014, at 23:36:07

When I was young, there's a song there somewhere, there was never a problem on the beaches with dogs because people kept there dogs on leads and were more responsible, and thought of others, now it is a just a free for all with no consideration for people sitting on the beaches. Can someone explain why when sitting on a quiet beach with plenty of room a family will come and sit right down beside my partner and I when there is plenty of room along the beach, they then proceed to smoke, eat shout loudly, play games and make a mess. We end up moving just to get some peace and quiet, this even happens on holiday, there must be something that says "suckers". Very annoying don't know which is worse people or dogs.

by sue allen

5th July 2014, at 19:44:31

by Bob Howard

5th July 2014, at 11:31:14

@sam smith Do you really believe that beaches would be a safe place for your kids to play if dogs were banned. There are approximately 31,000 Combined Sewage Overflows around the UK coast all periodically spewing untreated sewage into the sea. Do you not think that when the tide comes in a covers the sand there could be a remote chance that the beach could become contaminated by that? And that is without the contents of Bembridge harbour adding to it. Have you smelt it? I am all for you cosseting your little angels in a sterile environment, as then I wouldn't have to put up with them, but a beach will never be that.

by Derek Taylor

5th July 2014, at 09:04:48

Loose dogs are a complete menace on beaches during the summer. Last week while trying to relax on Colwell beach a dog decided to take a dump right behind where my wife and I were sitting, the owner carried on walking oblivious to what happened. The following day on the same beach black labrador was being walked off lead with its owner and it decided after taking a dip in the sea to rush over to us, steal a sanwich out of my wife's hand and cover us in sea water and snot. The female owner looked at us and just carried on walking without any aknowledgement or apology. I go to the beach to relax, not end up fighting with irresponsible dog owners.

by sam smith

5th July 2014, at 00:07:10

Ban all dogs in the summer. I am fed up of seeing piles of poo when I visit with my children. I want my children to be able to play on the beach without the risk of stepping in dog poo or wee. Once a dog came and peed on my tent. The dog owner, a thick set man, snarled at me when I made a comment. He had 3 dogs and they were running all over the place, there was no way he could see where they were or whether they were messing. Another fine example of dirty owners of dogs.

by sam smith

5th July 2014, at 00:07:09

by david wright

4th July 2014, at 22:20:24

Interesting no one has mentioned the risk to your dog from dogs not being on a lead.

I personally am not a particular fan of dogs and have no axe to grind nor am i a fan of restrictions to freedom as we have too many already, BUT a common problem i have read about and witnessed is one dog attacking another often a yappy aggrssive but smaller dog that comes of far worse!
I am surprised dog owners have no comment on this aspect of the issue ?

by alan naylor

4th July 2014, at 20:16:42

Swear words are not allowed unless you step in it

by Susannah Thornton

4th July 2014, at 19:59:10

Sometimes the owners need to be on the leads and not the dogs!! It's about responsible pet ownership (all pets not just dogs), if everyone looked after their animals correctly and kept them under control that would help tremendously in situations like this.

by Paul Cox