Ferry good news for pet owners

By a County Press reporter

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

DOGS and pets carried in RSPCA approved containers can now travel free on Red Funnel’s Red Jet service between Cowes and Southampton thanks to a new year deal offered by the company.

Meanwhile, on the passenger vehicle ferry service between East Cowes and Southampton, dogs can travel in a designated area of the main passenger lounge on B deck, as well as in the pet area on A deck.

Jonathan Green, sales and marketing director for Red Funnel, said: "Red Funnel welcomes pet owners and to help cope with growing demand on the East Cowes/Southampton route, we are waiving charges for pets on the Red Jets from Cowes.

"On the vehicle service, we have listened carefully to customers and the new policy will improve the experience for pet owners ahead of the new high-spec pet lounge announced for Red Falcon as part of her new look in April."

The changes apply immediately but pet owners are being advised to read the company’s pet policy before travelling on www.redfunnel.co.uk/petpolicy

Comments

by alan naylor

16th January 2014, at 21:54:44

I HAVE THE PURRRFECT ANSWER TO BRIDGE ALL THE PROBLEMS BELOW

by Keven Ball

16th January 2014, at 09:44:13

Although it is a New Year's deal as reported I cannot understand why this hasn't happened earlier/before? As long as the animals are safe and secure I can't see the harm?

by Graeme Egerton

15th January 2014, at 17:32:08

If it was down to me I'd be the only one on the ferry lol, as long as I've got me tablets it's OK. Lee, if you knew me, I'm far too tight to leave my engine running :) It's in the 30 quid tax bracket though so could be worse I suppose.

by Helen Rogers

15th January 2014, at 12:35:35

Agree with you completely Catherine Black!

by Catherine Black

15th January 2014, at 12:17:26

Sorry you are allergic to dogs Graeme, but they say it will be a dog lounge area so there will be a choice of sitting further away maybe? We all have to get on and be tolerant. Personally I'd rather have 10 dogs next to me than 1 loud rowdy child who's parent/s think it is ok to let them annoy everyone else, perhaps a child lounge Red Funnel? ;)

by lulu arnold

15th January 2014, at 11:57:44

I just told Kitty she is excited over the news , and has asked me to take her to Southampton for a day out , I am saving up for the treat , She has her eye on a new bed from Pets "R" us .

15th January 2014, at 09:32:25

Graeme I fully understand you because whilst I love dogs, the other household vermin, cats, does the same for me.

by Graeme Egerton

15th January 2014, at 08:50:29

I love dogs ( being a veggie and all that) but am horribly allergic to them. Last thing I need before a long drive somewhere, would be getting stuck next to a dog or even near one - I can't breathe sometimes AFTER a dog has been somewhere I am or off someone's clothes. Best take some Piritons with me (other brands are available).

by Stephen Elliott

14th January 2014, at 22:44:10

I travelled daily on the chemical ferry and I tell you this...dogs travelled on the boat anywhere. No one took them to the designated area, staff didn't bother and neither did we.

by Catherine Black

14th January 2014, at 22:32:12

Thank you Red Funnel, at least one ferry firm is listening to its customers. Having a dog and having to travel in the 'Dog Area' made me feel like a 3rd class citizen, like a leper. One cold, wet and windy late night crossing the Dog Area had no lights and no heating, but it did have water swilling across the floor and smokers, not a good travelling experience, fortunately one of the staff allowed us to sit on B deck, ah such luxury! I look forward to the new pet lounge.