A FAMILY, who were left homeless after fire ripped through their house, have been overwhelmed by the generosity and support of Islanders.
Norman and Carol Hiles and their two children, Sarah, 15, and Daniel, 18, were asleep in their semi-detached home in Sandown when the blaze took hold in the early hours of last Friday.
Luckily, the family managed to escape unharmed but the first floor of the three-bedroom property in Central Way has been left completely gutted, along with severe smoke damage and fire damage to the ground floor.
Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service watch manager, James Lucy, confirmed the fire was caused by an electrical fault in an upstairs cupboard, housing an immersion heater.
The incident has prompted a huge response from residents and businesses, who have come forward with donations of clothes, food and even furniture to replace items that were destroyed.
The nearby Fairway Holiday Park in Perowne Way has given the family a caravan to stay in until longer-term arrangements are made.
A Help the Hiles Facebook page has been set up by Gemma Smith, Vicky Smith and Donna Woodward through the Emergency and Community Information for the Isle of Wight page.
For full story, see Friday's County Press.