Mix of music and scooters

By Jon Moreno

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Mix of music and scooters

Scooters at Holyrood Street at a previous Lambretta Day.

THE unmistakable smell of two-stroke will fill the air when thousands of scooterists descend on the Isle of Wight this weekend.

Lambretta Day, which has become one of the biggest scooter events in Europe, will be celebrated with a traditional ride out tomorrow (Sunday).

The ride out, which, as usual, gets under way from Holyrood Street, Newport, will be led by the Island’s Heart and Soul Scooter Club to Ryde Superbowl, on Ryde seafront, at 1pm.

Riders can gather in Holyrood Street from 11am and there will be trophies for the best scooters, including best Lambretta, at the finish.

There will be a barbecue, together with a performance by Island band, The Dead Perrys, at The Pavilion Bar, at Ryde Superbowl.

The Balcony Bar, on Ryde seafront, will host an evening of live and dance music from 8pm.

Mod and scooter enthusiast Steve Robson, organiser, said: "It should be a classic event, so we hope to see a good turnout of people for the ride out and the music in the evening."

• The fun in Holyrood Street continues on Monday when there will be a party in the closed-off street with a bouncy castle, magic show, marching band, stalls, shops open, a real ale festival and hot food available.

There will also be live bands during the day, which runs from 10am to 4pm.

The event is sponsored by Smart Training and PE Composites, and proceeds will go to the Barely Born Appeal and Beaulieu House.

Reporter: jonm@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

27th May 2013, at 07:55:12

I bought the GT 200 when I got promotion. I had to travel 38 miles every morning then the same back at night :-(

Did that for two years. Then got transferred to a school nearer to home. Bought a Moped for when it was dry and a Jag for when it was wet ;-)

by Julian Fry

27th May 2013, at 05:24:29

Yeah, GT200 Mike.

Polycromatic Maroon.

by Julian Fry

27th May 2013, at 05:23:00

Hi Mike, I had an old Vespa 1st. Then my uncle went guarantor at Medens money lending in Newport for a Lambretta GT.. I bought it from Dave Death at Carisbrooke. Mike Death often came out to help me it if it conked out.

There were quite a few of us and we used to get up the Caribou coffee bar in Ryde - and go to The 69 club, which moved from Ryde to various venues, including Ventnor Winter gardens.

I'm sur that there must be many around of the old crowd, although Paul Norman and Felix Gros died. Oh and Andrew Wingate (Winnie), he popped off a couple of years back.

They probably don't read blogs though :)

26th May 2013, at 20:23:32

What did you have Julian?

I started with an LD150 then later went to an LI 150 and ended with a GT200

by Graham Lee Badger Trust IOW

26th May 2013, at 10:20:07

Thanks Russell

by Julian Fry

26th May 2013, at 04:32:18

Memories..sigh. My Lambretta 60s. Shanklin.

Where's Felix, Paul Norman, Paul Kennett, Twid, Burt, David, Mav, John Sturt, Mick Cheverton, 69 Club, ect, ect.

by Russell Palin

25th May 2013, at 23:06:11

When I first read the article I thought blimey Lambretta day has got big :)

Graham me and the Mrs love seeing Breez go past in the sidecar, hope she is well soon and gets back on the road. Good luck.

by Graham Lee Badger Trust IOW

25th May 2013, at 21:48:59

Lol at the thousands!

Breez recently underwent life-saving surgery at the vets & is in no fit state to jump in the sidecar for a ride for a long while. As she needs daily monitoring I will be sitting this one out at home with her.

Hope the weather stays good for all those who attend!

by Kevin Barclay-Jay

25th May 2013, at 13:30:38

somebody seems a little confused ...a couple of hundred scooters and nowhere near the biggest in Britain let alone Europe....must be thinking about the August Bank Holiday.

Any way a great weekend awith lots of entertainment all weekend all over the Island, especially Ryde and Sandown