Passengers vote for later sailing

By a County Press reporter

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

PASSENGERS who took part in a Wightlink survey into Friday night sailing times from Portsmouth to Fishbourne have voted to change the 9pm ferry from Portsmouth to 10pm.

Sean Millward, head of port operations, said: "We had been approached by several people during our Meet the Managers consultation events who wanted to travel on a later sailing on Fridays so we decided to find out for ourselves what our customers would prefer.

"We will make the change on April 7 when our next timetable comes into effect."

Nearly 500 customers took part — 79 per cent chose the later sailing and 21 per cent voted to keep the timetable as it is.

Seventy-two per cent of people were Islanders while 28 per cent were from the mainland.

Wightlink publicised the online poll through Island media and promoted it on social media through Facebook and Twitter.

Comments

by P Howlett

6th March 2014, at 18:59:45

So this now means if you miss the 19:00 you have a 3 hour wait for the 22:00, this is ridiculous, they should be made to provide a service for Islanders not just profit from them.

by Tim Brayford

6th March 2014, at 17:42:52

Irrelevant to me, with the cost of a return trip with my Nissan Kingcab (5.3m long) rising from around £ 48 last year to around £ 170 this year I can no longer afford to travel with them.

by James McAdder

6th March 2014, at 17:22:42

No, Jack, not a leap of bad faith. I know how these things work as I work in the tech side of this industry.

I imagine some well meaning person at Wightlink had the idea for this survey, passed the idea on to the marketing ****s who couldn't resist adding all of the data trawl and spam stuff.

by Jack Woodford

6th March 2014, at 16:44:45

As it was customers who were canvassed, perhaps Wightlink will be keeping them in touch with future offers etc. Wouldn't you do the same if you were in business? I hardly think Wightlink would create such an elaborate cover story and then rearrange its timetable if it were simply a data-gathering exercise.
I reckon its a leap of bad faith to assume it will be used in the manner you suggest, dude.

by James McAdder

6th March 2014, at 16:26:18

Not "whining" , its a fact. Why did Wightlink feel the need to harvest personal details and then endeavour to trick people into receiving spam and junk mail?

by Jack Woodford

6th March 2014, at 15:47:35

Quod erat demonstrandum
Cheers, James.

by James McAdder

6th March 2014, at 15:18:54

Considering the "survey" asked respondents for their personal details and then presented them with 3 boxes, pre-selected to opt in to text, phone and postal marketing material, I'd say this was more about trawling for marketing targets than a real consultation.

by Jack Woodford

6th March 2014, at 11:52:25

Well done Wightlink dudes, I say. This looks like proper consultation at work to me.
I'm sure the usual whiners on here will tell me otherwise tho....