Solent Coastguard helicopter and Ryde Inshore Rescue search the water after two boys were reported missing on the Isle of Wight. Picture by Robin Crossley.
POLICE on the Isle of Wight have said they are keeping an open mind following yesterday's (Monday) search for two missing boys.
A massive search was launched after two boys, aged eight and six, were reported missing close to Appley Tower at around 1pm.
But after three hours, emergency services including Solent Coastguard, the police and Ryde Inshore Rescue scaled back the effort, after no sign of the boys was found and there had been no further contact from the parents.
A police spokesman said last night (Monday): "Police deployed officers and staff to check nearby public places, tourist attractions and hotels. Details of the boys were circulated to public transport operators and Solent ferry companies.
"An address given for the family on the Isle of Wight was checked by officers. The details provided were found to be incorrect. House-to-house enquiries were also carried out. HM Coastguard stood down its search of the sea and shore at around 4.15pm as there was no further information to suggest two children were in danger."
He added: "There is no evidence at this time to confirm a criminal offence has been committed deliberately.
"There could be a completely innocent explanation for what happened.
"Nothing can be ruled out as we assess all the information available. We are renewing an appeal for the parents or any relatives of these two boys to contact the police."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Newport Police Station by phoning 101. The Mini-com number, for deaf or hard of hearing callers, has changed to Minicom TextRelay 18001 101.
Crimestoppers can be called anonymously on 0800 555 111.