The Isle of Wight Festival main stage under construction. Picture by Robin Crossley.
THE ISLE of Wight Festival site is starting to take shape and the main stage is under construction.
Contractors started putting the stage up yesterday (Sunday) in preparation for the event at Seaclose Park this weekend, headlined by Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and Pearl Jam.
It was rumoured the wet weather had caused problems at the site, but there was no sign of mud at the main site this afternoon.
Caroline Giddings, of organisers Solo, said: "Everything is going to plan and we have not had to take any special measures because of the weather. The camping area is a bit muddy but there are no problems in the main arena.
"It's funny, people were saying the stage was sinking last week, when it didn't even arrive until yesterday. I don't know how these rumours start — maybe it's just British pessimism — but as you can see it's absolutely fine."
John Giddings said: "It's always exciting to see the stage going up. All year long I drive along Fairlee Road imagining the place packed with tents and people, and now I can't wait for the weekend."