A 14-YEAR-OLD boy has died from his injuries after falling overboard from a boat and hitting the propeller.
The teenager was travelling to the Isle of Wight from Dorset on a small rigid inflatable hull boat (RHIB) on Friday, with his father and two school friends, also 14, when the accident happened just off the Needles.
One of his friends was taken to St Mary's Hospital, where he remains with serious injuries.
The boy's father and other friend were not injured.
The group are all from Surrey.
The Solent Coastguard launched a search and rescue operation shortly before 5pm in response to a 999 call.
The Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat and coastguard rescue helicopter, already airborne on an exercise, were called to the scene.
The boy was airlifted to Southampton General Hospital with life threatening injuries, where he later died.
Solent Coastguard watch manager Tony Wheeler said yesterday: "We understand two of the four people on board the RHIB fell into the water and sustained injuries from the propeller."
UPDATE 12.10 A statement issued by police today said: "Hampshire Constabulary is now in a position to confirm the death of a teenage boy who was injured on board a RHIB off the coast of The Needles on the Isle of Wight on Friday, July 20, 2012.
"The boy, aged 14 from Surrey, was pronounced dead at Southampton General Hospital. He had been airlifted from the boat by a Coastguard rescue helicopter.
"Immediate next-of-kin have been informed, but police will not be in a position to confirm the boy's name in the media until all formal identification procedures have been completed.
"The death is not being treated as suspicious. An initial post-mortem examination is due to take place in the next few days. Police will prepare a file for HM Coroner who has been informed. HM Coastguard has notified the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB)."
Senior investigating officer Det Insp Floyd Higginson of Hampshire Constabulary's Public Protection Department said: "Although the death is not being treated as suspicious, it is routine procedure for specialist detectives to make initial enquiries into the sudden death of someone aged under 18.
"We are providing support for the other three people on board the boat to help ensure their welfare, and to establish the exact circumstances surrounding the death.
"A second 14-year-old boy from Surrey received a serious injury, which was not life-threatening. He is receiving treatment at St Mary's Hospital on the Isle of Wight. An adult man and a third 14-year-old boy from Surrey were not injured.
"The RHIB was taken by Hampshire Constabulary's Marine Unit to Hamble from Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight on Friday, July 20, 2012 to be secured as evidence pending further enquiries.
"Police would like to thank HM Coastguard, the RNLI and the NHS for their considerable assistance during the response to this emergency."
"The Solent Coastguard, NHS and Hampshire Constabulary are working together to contact relatives and the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) has been informed."
UPDATE 17.25 A second statement issued today by police said: "Hampshire Constabulary is now able to confirm more information about the circumstances surrounding the death of a 14-year-old boy after an incident on board a rigid hull inflatable boat off the coast of the Isle of Wight.
"The privately-owned boat was travelling from Dorset to the Isle of Wight with four people from Surrey on board.
"The four people were a 14-year-old boy, who later died, and his father, a man aged in his 50s, who was the driver and owner of the boat. Two other boys, both aged 14, who are school friends of the family."