Thanks from storm-battered Steephill cafe

By David Newble

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thanks from storm-battered Steephill cafe

The community clean-up at Steephill Cove on the Isle of Wight.

THE OWNERS of a cafe in storm-battered Steephill Cove have thanked volunteers who have helped clean up the beauty spot in the wake of the Valentine’s Storm.

Thirty bags of rubbish were collected from the cove after tonnes of plastic debris was washed ashore during the storm last Friday night.

Jim and Mandy Wheeler, owners of The Crab Shed cafe, praised volunteers for their efforts in clearing away the rubbish.

Jim said he had yet to check his fishing gear, which he used to catch fresh crab and lobster for the cafe, but expected it to have suffered some damage.

He said however: "You can be assured that we will still be serving fresh crab and lobster in time for Easter."

He also thanked Prof Robin McInnes who, during his time as an officer with the Isle of Wight Council, oversaw the building of sea defences built to protect the cove.

He said: "If that had not been done, the sea would have come in for sure and the houses would have been in trouble."

• Businesses in Totland have organised a clean-up of the beach at Totland Bay. It will take place on Saturday from 10am to 3pm.

Steephill Cove

Photographer Chad Powell's picture reveals the state of Steephill Cove the day after the storm. Picture courtesy of Chad Powell, via Twitter @IOWMilkyWay.

Comments

by Keven Ball

24th February 2014, at 12:10:21

I hope this event went very well and again, a massive well done to all who helped.

by Keven Ball

21st February 2014, at 12:48:45

*to

by Keven Ball

21st February 2014, at 12:48:29

You have t be careful as you say Lee. There are many fake website to con people. As you say, make sure they are legit before making any payment! It is best to make payment by a credit card as you can always track the money back if it was or is a con site!

by Keven Ball

20th February 2014, at 21:15:04

"Businesses in Totland have organised a clean-up of the beach at Totland Bay. It will take place on Saturday from 10am to 3pm." That is a very good idea and finally the weather looks much better. I hope no more storms will come for a long-time now (if at all)!

by Peter Jeffery

20th February 2014, at 21:08:32

Keven

I hope you never lose anyone close to you

by Keven Ball

20th February 2014, at 21:02:56

I fully understand that if you loss someone it is very hard and emotionally tough. Then you have the financial issues as you say. I have found if people know of this many are willing to help. But they have to know firstly. That is why I suggested writing to the paper so then they knew and could have helped. Many people have set-up websites with a donation function in loving memory of past loved ones. I am sure someone can/could help you set it up if you asked?

by Peter Jeffery

20th February 2014, at 20:40:24

Keven / Lee

I'm sorry but what planet are you on !

For whatever reason you lose a child. As he said, you can't insure a child to die, as it is a rare occurence.

"why didn't you write into the paper and ask them to publish an article for you"

Keven, I hope you have never lost anyone and never will do

by Keven Ball

20th February 2014, at 20:20:12

I agree. I am sure people would pull together after something bad has happened. If you needed support why didn't you write into the paper and ask them to publish an article for you - I am sure they would have done? My thoughts to you over your loss.

by Peter Jeffery

20th February 2014, at 19:53:13

J Newnham

I am normally sympathetic to the suffering of others, but sometimes I submit to the mass view that some people deserve what they get.

Can I just say that I cried reading your post, I don't know if you need the County Press to have a fund, but just to publicise cases such as yours.

I feel confident that many on the IOW would help in a heartbeat.

by J Newnham

20th February 2014, at 18:57:33

When we have this kind of 'natural disaster' (strong words, but if it's yours, it's a disaster) can't the County Press alert us all to people who need help? People wouldn't mind helping at the weekends, if others are pitching in too?

On another subject, I lost my daughter a few years back. Did you realise that it's practically impossible to insure a child's life? So, on top of everything else, you have a funeral to pay for. Could the County Press not open a fund for help with funeral costs for those children and young people who are taken from us? Flowers at a crash site are quite lovely I agree, but a few bob towards costs ease a little stress at THE most horrific time in anyone's life. I remember selling everything I owned of value to pay for my only child's funeral as I'm old fashioned enough to have wanted to not want it to go unsung. We are a good hearted bunch down here. Help us, County Press, to help others please.