Warning to dog owners

By Ross Findon

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

 

A VETERINARY surgery has urged dog owners to take care on beaches after several animals consumed what is thought to be a substance that contains palm oil.

Earlier this week, a warning was issued about the danger to animals of ingesting the substance, which can look like lard, after it washed up on on beaches on the mainland.

There have now been reports of it being spotted on the Island, particularly in the Bembridge area.

Tim Watson, of Medina Veterinary Services, said nine animals had been brought into them after eating the substance, which has yet to be tested, but is believed to contain palm oil.

He urged dog owners not to let their animals eat anything on the beach and to report any sightings of the substance to the Environment Agency on 0800 80 70 60.

Anyone concerned their dog may have eaten the substance, should contact their vet.

More News

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Comments

Log-in or register to comment on this story. See our House Rules here.

By ticking "Remember me" you agree to a cookie being stored on your computer - no personal data is shared.

Forgotten your password?

Any views or opinions presented in the comments above are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the Isle of Wight County Press.

Most Read

  1. Island attractions in tourism finals

    Thursday, October 30, 2014

  2. Propeller fault disrupts Lymington-Yarmouth ferry

    Friday, October 31, 2014

  3. Cowes Council rejects floating bridge charges

    Friday, October 31, 2014

  4. Dementia support website launched

    Friday, October 31, 2014

  5. Redevelopment of Savoy welcomed

    Saturday, November 1, 2014

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map
Travel News Sponsor